September 11, 2016

The Challenge Continues . . . The 2011 Buckeye Book Award Winner


And the reading challenge continues!  As stated in a previous post, my librarian friend Ashley Lambacher of the Book Talker and I are hosting the Buckeye Book Award Reading Challenge.  Our goal is to read all the past winners from the children’s book category in chronological order from 1982 to the present.  I will read the K-2 picture book winners and Ashley will read the 4-8/3-5 chapter book winners.  Today I continue my challenge by reading the winner of the K-2 Buckeye Book Award in 2011, Shark vs. Train by Chris Barton.

Shark vs. Train is a head to head competition between two toys.  Two boys dig through a toy box.  One pulls out a shark, the other selects a train.  It is shark vs. train, but which very determined toy is going to win the fight?  Of course if they are under the ocean waves, the shark has the edge, but if they are on some railroad tracks, the train is going to win hands down.  What do you think if they are on a seesaw or in a hot-air balloon?  The two go head to head in all kinds of contests. They bowl, shoot baskets, take a flip off the high-dive board, sell lemonade, go trick-or-treating, go on carnival rides, play games, and hide-and-seek.  When Mom calls out, "BOYS! LUNCH!!" it's time to for a little break . . . until next time.  Tom Lichtenheld's artwork is colorful and fun, capturing each competition and the intense expressions on each boys face as they face off.  I’m a big fan of books by Chris Barton and illustrations by Tom Lichtenheld, so I’m glad to see they won the 2011 Buckeye Book Award.  

Ashley - Your upcoming 2011 book is not a chapter book this time, it’s Bill Thomson’s Chalk wordless picture book.  I love this book’s portrayal of the magic that can be created by sidewalk chalk.

Would you like to join Ashley and I as we read through Ohio’s award winning books?  We welcome any and all who are interested in participating in this fun reading challenge.  For more information, click here.

1 comment:

  1. Tom Lichtenheld is one of my favorite illustrators. He does such a fantastic job of bringing the words to life in this book. It's such a fun read, too!

    I'm really excited for Chalk! I've read it before, but it's a nice change for me to review a picture book.

    ReplyDelete