January 21, 2017

The Challenge Continues . . . The 2015 Buckeye Book Award


And the reading challenge continues!  As stated in a previous post, my librarian friend Ashley Lambacher of the Book Talker and I are hosting the Buckeye Book Award Reading Challenge.  Our goal is to read all the past winners from the children’s book category in chronological order from 1982 to the present.  I will read the K-2 picture book winners and Ashley will read the 4-8/3-5 chapter book winners.  Today I continue my challenge by reading the winner of the K-2 Buckeye Book Award in 2015, The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers.

Duncan’s crayons are not happy and they are on strike.  In their place they left a stack of letters detailing their grievances.  Yellow and orange want dibs on coloring the sun, while peach wants to know why his wrapper was torn off leaving him naked.  Beige is tired of being ignored next to brown, and blue is exhausted from overuse.  Pink wants to be used more explaining it’s not a color just for girls.  As the complaints pile up, Duncan figures out a solution by creating a colorful drawing that addresses all of the crayons issues.  Jeffers’ illustrations bring the crayons to life giving each wax tube detailed expressions and emotions.  My students really enjoy The Day the Crayons Quit and it’s follow up, The Day the Crayons Came Home, making it a notable winner for the Buckeye Book Award in 2015.

Ashley -  I know you and your students like the crayon books, and you’re a big fan of Oliver Jeffers.  Your upcoming 2015 book is Secrets According to Humphrey.  Do your students enjoy the Humphrey series as much as my students?  

Our reading challenge is almost over!  We only have one more book to read next month.  I’m sad to see our challenge end, but I’m proud of our commitment and collaboration.  

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, I do love Oliver Jeffers! His style has a certain whimsy that is just my brand of humor. Plus, his illustrations are so kid friendly. As for Humphrey, the kids go nuts for them!! I'm not shocked at all that it is my next book, although I have to say I'm surprised a Humphrey book wasn't selected before 2015. Granted, it had a lot of good competition!

    ReplyDelete